Sunday 22 February 2015

Our Spanish Dream - Part 13: Terra Natura Zip Wire

Our Spanish Dream - Part 13: Terra Natura Zip Wire

Date Created: 11.02.2015
We had a family trip to Terra Natura in Benidorm.  We walked around the safari area, divided into the continents of Europe, Asia and America. 
Then we headed for the zip wire.  We were taken by car up a windy road, it felt as if we were on the top of the mountain by the time it stopped.
 Why on earth had I agreed to this?
The zip wire is 180 meters high and 400 meters long, (that’s roughly a quarter of mile long so would take the average person 4-5 minutes to walk the distance on the flat), and at the time was the longest zip wire in Europe.  17 year old son went first, he was really keen, was strapped into the harness, pushed off and disappeared out of sight.  Daughter, next, seemed remarkably confident as she swung herself over the ‘abyss’ and got smaller and smaller before she too vanished from sight.  14 year old son, technically blind, was as confident as his brother.  He couldn’t understand my concern that I couldn’t see the far end of the wire, he had spent his life unable to see things beyond the end of his nose so what was my problem?  Off he went, with a massive smile on his face.
I was physically shaking as I got into the harness, was I totally out of my mind?  I don’t like heights, I don’t like speed and I don’t like not having my feet on terra-firma.  As I felt myself move forward I shut my eyes tight and started to scream!  I ran out of breath so stopped screaming, dared to open my eyes only to discover I was flying high over a herd of elephants, so shut my eyes and screamed again!  I was still shaking when Dave arrived down the wire.  Did I have a great sense of elation at having conquered my fear of height, speed and dangling in mid-air?  Not at all!  I just wanted to kiss the ground and have a calming cuppa.

Dave and Bev Spanish Dream Properties
Dave and Bev Townsend have two homes, their main one in Norwich and a second home in Playa Flamenca in south Costa Blanca, Spain which they also let as a holiday rental www.house-by-the-pool.com   They run a property finding business offering a free service for those seeking to buy a property in the Costa Blanca (Alicante) or the Mar Menor area of the Costa Calida (Murcia) www.SpanishDreamProperty.com   Bev has family in Spain and they intend to move there full-time in a couple of years.


No comments:

Post a Comment